Cataract Scheme Protocol
The pathway is for patients who require and would like cataract surgery.
REGARDLESS OF CO-MORBIDITY ALL POTENTIAL SURGICAL CATARACT MUST BE REFERRED DIRECTLY ON THE DIRECT REFERRAL FORM (available in WORD or PDF format) TO THE PATIENT’S CHOSEN PROVIDER LISTED ON THE FORM (provided they are not currently under the HES)
- Patients must be given an explanation of cataract and cataract surgery, and must receive the cataract leaflet.
- Only patients who are willing to go ahead with surgery should be referred on this pathway.
- A choice of surgery providers must be offered and the direct referral form must be completed.
- The referral form must be sent direct to the hospital provider of choice, a copy to the patient's GP and third copy remains in your records.
- A £30.00 fee is payable for completion of the form as well as completing a feedback form at the the post-op refraction appointment if requested.
- A GOS fee can be claimed for both visits assuming a full sight test has been carried out.
- Each patient/claim must be documented on the data capture template, which should be emailed to the CCG as well as a corresponding monthly invoice - see data submission and claims.
Further more detailed instructions are available here.
A copy of the NHS contract which gives more details of the scheme can also be downloaded here.