Barnsley District Hospital Eye Clinic (BDGH)
For Emergency Referrals call (Ophthalmology Triage Nurse): 01226431728
BDGH Switchboard: 01226730000
Ophthalmology Reception: 01226434343
Ocular Emergencies - email@example.com
Fax to BHNFT Ophthalmology on 01226432149
REFERRAL PROTOCOL BARNSLEY
- First determine if the patient is suitable for a MECS (Minor Eye Condition Service / Optometry First) assessment. If Patient not suitable for MECS then ignore steps 2-3
- Either conduct the MECS assessment if accredited or call / signpost to a local participating practice for onward management of the patient.
- If following MECS assessment, referral to secondary care is deemed appropriate, refer as below:
- For Emergency referrals Call (Ophthalmology Triage Nurse) on 01226431728
- For Urgent (Non Emergency) Referrals please refer to chosen provider via Optomanager IT Platform
- For Routine Referrals to Barnsley Ophthalmology or other Ophthalmology services, please SEND GOS18 or private referral via Patient's GP to chosen provider
- If Patient is NOT suitable for MECS assessment and Referral (Urgent or Emergency) to Seconday Care is appropriate then use the contact details below:
- For Emergency Referrals call (Ophthalmology Triage Nurse): 01226431728 and/or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- For Urgent Referrals email GOS18 to:email@example.com or fax to 01226432149
- For Routine Referrals to Barnsley Ophthalmology, please SEND GOS18 or private referral straight to Barnsley hospital via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to 01226432149, please send a copy to the GP, stating "No action required, copy only"
For Routine referrals to other Ophthalmology departments other than Barnsley, please send GOS18 via GP, stating clearly the hospital to be referred to due to Patient Choice.
NON URGENT REFERRALS - REFER FOR MINOR EYE CONDITIONS TO A LOCAL MECS OPTOMETRIST
FOR URGENT REFERRALS - PLEASE FAX TO BELOW NUMBER UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE
BHNFT Ophthalmology Fax number : 01226 432149