Hillingdon Clubs and Societies for the Sight Impaired
- Pottery classes. These classes are held every Wednesday throughout term-time between 11.15am-2.15 pm at Harlington Adult Education Centre, Pinkwell Lane, Hayes, UB3 1PB. Transport is provided to the centre. There is an annual subscription of £60. Please contact Colin Hoppe on 01895 446741 for further details.
- Ruislip Blind Fellowship Club meet fortnightly on Saturdays between 3pm-5pm at The Bungalow, 20 Bridle Rd, Eastcote, HA5 2SJ. Contact Gwen Swannell on 01895 833258 for further details.
- VIP Audio Book Group. The group meets to discuss a wide range of audio books, fiction and non-fiction. The group meets on the fourth Tuesday of the month between 10.30-12.00 at Uxbridge Library, 13-14 High Street, Uxbridge, Middlesex UB8 1HD. Refreshments are provided. Transport is not provided. The library also offers a wide-range of additional audio services for the blind and partially sighted including a postal service for talking books and downloadable books. Contact Joanne Wray on 01895 277798 for details.
- Amigos. This group organises speakers and outings when possible. The group meet on the first Tuesday of the month from 10.30-12.30 at Christchurch, Redford Way, Uxbridge. Refreshments are provided. Transport to and from the venue is not provided. There is an annual subscription of £3.00. Contact Christina on 01895 677697 for more details.
- Hayes and Harlington Social Club for the Blind host a range of activities including music, speakers, specially adapted bingo, quizzes and social afternoons. The club meet on alternate Monday afternoons from 2pm-4pm at Barnhill Community Centre, Ayles Rd, Hayes, UB4 9HG. Transport is provided through the council, collecting members from their homes (cost £1.50 per meeting). There is an annual subscription of £7.00 a year. Please contact Maureen Cox on 020 8848 4284 for further details.
- Pelican Club is a social group for blind and partially sighted people who live around Cowley, Yiewsley and West Drayton. Its activities include raffles, quizzes, bingo, music, speakers, entertainers and small outings. The club meetings are from 2pm-4pm on the fourth Thursday of each month (except August and December) at Southlands Art Centre, The Green, West Drayton, Middlesex, UB7 7PW. Transport is provided by Hillingdon Community transport who will pick up and return members to their homes. Contact David or Janet Ross on 01895 442388 for further information.
- Phoenix Blind Club meet for socialising, talks and entertainment for people living around Ruislip, Northwood, Ickenham and Eastcote. The club meet on the third Wednesday of the month from 1.30pm-3.30pm at the 4th Ruislip Scout Headquarters, New Pond Parade, West End Road, Ruislip. Door-to-door transport is provided. There is an annual charge of £2.00 and a charge of £2.00 per monthly meeting. Contact: Ian Shellard on 01895 6754498 for details.
- Uxbridge and District Social Club for the Blind offer a range of activities including music, speakers, specially adapted bingo, quizzes and social afternoons. The club meets from 2.30pm-4.30 pm on the first Thursdau of the month at Bailey Hall, Redford Way, Uxbridge, Middlesex. Local council transport can collect members from their homes (cost £1.00 per meeting). There is an annual subscription of £7.00 per year. Contact Maureen Cox on 020 8848 4284 for further details.
- VIP Women’s Group. Originally set up for younger active visually impaired women, this group spends many meetings visiting theatres, museums, on canal and boat trips, picnicking, walking and annual cream teas. During the winter the group have a wide variety of speakers. The group now welcomes active members of all ages. Group meetings are held at Room 7 at Christchurch, Uxbridge on the second Tuesday of the month between 10.30am-12.30pm. There is an annual subscription of £5.00 per year and a charge of £3.00 per meeting. Contact: Christina on 01895 677697 for further information.
Sport and Outdoors
- Hillingdon Blind Bowlers play short mat bowls all year at the Battle of Britain Club at RAF Uxbridge and lawn bowls during the spring and summer months at Pinkwell Park, Hayes. At each meeting there is socialising with old and new friends. Occasionally there are social outings and each year a subsidised Bowls Tour Holiday is organised. The club meet between 12pm-2pm on the second and last Friday of every month. Transport is not provided. Contact: Val Lewis on 020 8573 4726 for further details.
- Uxbridge Macular Support Group meets on the third Friday of each month from 1.30pm-3.30pm at Uxbridge Library, High Street, Uxbridge, Middlesex, UB8 1HD. The meetings are open to anyone affected by central vision loss. Carers are welcome too. Contact: Stella Black on 01306 644908 for further details.